The Faculty of Health Sciences will be the
leader in Problem-Based Learning (PBL), Community-Based Education (CBE)
and Community Partnerships in Africa, in order to improve the quality
of life of all the people served.
The Faculty of Health Sciences is committed
to excellence in Problem-Based Learning (PBL), Community-Based Education
(CBE) and social responsiveness through the integration of community service
into its learning programmes that involve innovative teaching and research,
with special emphasis on Primary Health Care (PHC), and sustainable rural
development in partnership with communities and service providers.
- Academic freedom in teaching and learning,
research and community service.
- Quality management and integrity in
teaching and learning, research and community service.
- Equity in all activities of the faculty,
be it in student matters, staff matters, patient care and community
service in general.
- Democratic governance at all levels
- Student access for success in all
programmes within the faculty.
- Staff development and leadership capacity
for all faculty staff.
- Batho pele principles of good character,
respect and humility in our daily activities.
- Cost effectiveness in handling institutional
resources at all times.
- Relevance to the needs of those we
serve, especially students and the community.
Areas of Research and NICHE Specialties
The Faculty of Health Sciences has recruited
Research Champions at the level of Research Professors and Research Associate
Professors in order to build a research culture and enhance research productivity
and publications in this Faculty. The Research NICHE areas are:
1. Basic Sciences
- Human Nutrition
- Medicinal Plants & Traditional
2. Clinical Sciences
- Clinical Epidemiology
- Chronic Diseases including Tuberculosis,
Asthma, Cardiac Diseases
- HIV & AIDS from Health Promotion
and Prevention including HIV Vaccine Testing to Monitoring and Evaluation
of HIV & AIDS Management including ARVs
3. Public Health
- The Burden of Disease
- Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
- Health Systems Research
- Health Informatics
4. Medical Education
- Problem-based Education
- Community-based Education